Peter Stone
This term - spelling perhaps inexact- is used by builders I think to describe a wall covering of cement render studded with stones. Does anyone have a more precise definitiuon, and an idea of its origin?
Frank Pierce
I'm familiar with the word. I've HEARD unauthoritatively that it is of Hindi or middle-east origin. Hindi is a good bet. The British picked up a large number of words of native origin, never attempted to translate them and brought them directly back to Old Blighty.

Houdah is another, as is bungalow.

Return to the archive